Thursday, October 21, 2010

Chicken, its what's for dinner.

Mike and I went to the open air market today to buy some chicken. I really wanted to buy some boneless skinless chicken breast, you know the kind we buy at the grocery store all nicely packaged for us? I knew that this chicken buying experience was going to be a bit different but I was ready for it and really wanted to make some Asian cuisine in Mexico. We first arrived at the market and we decided to enter a unfamiliar building thinking we might find some Pollo there. First we walked by some colorful sugar skulls and several other bakery goods. Then we saw some sausage strung from metal hooks and various other meats. We immediately turned down the so-called meat aisle and followed the counters of flesh. We passed by a whole pig head sitting on a counter and by then the smell from everything hit me full on. I looked at Mike and he said, “turn left if you want to get out of here” I was holding my breath, we walked quickly to the door and then we started laughing. Not sure if I will ever go in there again, but at least I know where to get some sausage or pig parts.
We were back in the open air market and we bought some vegetables and then found the chicken vendors. So far this is the only way I know how to buy chicken and I’m hoping I will eventually get used to it. We walked up to a nice lady who had full chicken carcasses lined up on her counter with their heads dangling off the edge, Mike asked her in Spanish if they sold just the breasts and she nodded yes. So we decided two breasts would be enough and kindly asked her for two. She grabbed one of the many chickens lying there and then grabbed her scissors and started cutting away and dismembering the corpse. I must mention that the lady had to be maybe in her early 20's and the cutting and disjointing of the chicken didn’t bother her one bit. She then threw our breasts into a large scale hanging from the wooden structure that is her chicken stand and gave us our total, 50 pesos, about $4.00. She bagged our chicken and that concluded our search. My story may sound unpleasant or sickening to some but the chicken I will be eating tonight was most likely freshly killed today unlike some of the chicken products you find at the local grocery stores back at home. Now onto cooking it….. Bon Appetit!

2 comments:

  1. That is a great story....I can totally hear and see Mike saying "turn left if you want to get outta here." That is funny. Good hearing you two are having fun...sounds like quite the experience.

    -Tony

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was funny.
    What an experience, i was laughing so hard. I can totally see the 2 of you out there so extremely out of your environment and comfort but loving it.

    I’m so proud of both of you

    mom

    ReplyDelete